My 10 favourite beauty & skin hacks


1. Using oil as a highlighter. As mentioned in my previous skincare post, I am all about them oils. I use them in my hair, as a makeup remover, as moisturizer - oils are the shit. As I am getting older, I am noticing some fine lines around my eyes (and doing everything in my power to fight them!), and have started to notice that concealer/foundation will cake in those pesky little lines. As such, I've lessened how much makeup I use on my skin and instead focus on a fantastic canvas of super moisturized, dewy skin, and go super light on the concealer/foundation. When I go out, I always prep my skin with a light application of oil, before applying any makeup. This gives my skin a nice dewy base. After I finish putting on my makeup - bronzer, blush, countour etc. I lightly dab a few drops (a little goes a long way!) of my favourite oil under my eyes and all over my cheek bones and then blot with my beauty blender. I've tried a ton of different highlighters, and nothing gives me a dewier, more luscious *lewk* than using oil. It also keeps my face super moisturized, stops makeup from caking and just gives me this really healthy glow. Here are some of my favourites that I like to use:  Rose Hip Oil , Sweet Almond Oil

2. Taking powdered collagen as a supplement. Again, it's all about maintaining that youthful glow. I started taking powdered collagen about 2 years ago and have noticed a massive difference in the health of my hair, skin and nails. My hair grows like a weed now, and my nails are super strong despite doing regular shellac manicures every three weeks. The argument is that the collagen supplement attempts to replace the collagen that degrades every year (about 1% per year from age 25). I have other friends who have been taking this who are in their 40's, and it's one of their go to secrets for maintaining that youthful glow. I put it in my morning smoothie and/or coffee every day, it's flavourless and dissolves super easily. Why wouldn't you? Here is the one I use: Great Lakes Powdered Collagen

3. Using a silk pillow case. Again - it's all about combating the development of fine lines and wrinkles. Prevention, prevention, prevention ladies!  Notice a trend here? We aren't spring chickens anymore! Using a silk pillow case will lessen the risk of lines forming on your face while you sleep. Here's the one I have: Silk Pillow Case

4. Never going to bed with wet hair. Your pillow is a cess pool. You want to increase that by 10 fold - go to bed with wet hair, exposing your skin to all kinds of bacteria, and risk of getting sick more often. No thank you!

5. Doing weekly at home facials that rival those you would spend hundreds of dollars for at the spa. It's also a super luxurious way to do some self care - which as we all know is super important.  Video to come on this!

6. Derma rolling a few times a week. Again, another video to come on this! For now, here is the one I use: Micro Needle Roller

7. Going to sleep with an at home LED red light mask - every night. I asked my dermatologist whether this trick actually works, and she said while you're not going to see overnight results - it's about preserving the skin you have, and every small little step helps. Here is the one I use: LED light mask

8. Using a micro current machine every morning when I wake up. While the one I have is far less powerful than ones you find at a spa, doing this daily really wakes up my skin. You'll need a conductive gel/liquid - either water or a toner works well - apply your choice of conductor first, then pass the device over your whole face in light, swift movements. You're basically exercising the muscles in your face. Here is the one I have: Micro Current Device

9. Fascia blasting. Ok, this might have to be one of the best things I've encountered to date. It's basically a body massage stick - it breaks down the appearance of cellulite unbelievably well, plus it's also amazing to use all over your entire body to relieve tension, AND your face. Some are even calling it the new botox, because you can almost entirely eliminate wrinkles on your face if done correctly and consistently. Check it out here: Fascia Blaster

10. Glycolic acid peels. I try to do these at least once a month, but sometimes I'm not as diligent as I should be. Plus, it's not the most comforting sensation. But - your skin literally looks 5-10 years younger after you do these peels. The results really are amazing. I already talked about this in another post, but I really can't stress enough how amazing glycolic acid is in terms of skin health and rejuvenation. Here is a great one to try, but tread lightly and make sure to follow the instructions carefully: Glycolic Acid Peel

Comments

Popular Posts