A groovy Gewürz!

A quick update with a cool new wine I tried last week at wine club. This month we went by varietal instead of region. Gewürz and Zinfandel were the varietals on display this month. We tasted them all semi blind, and this one in particular had us all a-buzz.

Tiefenbrunner, Gewürtraminer, 2009 





This particular Gewürz comes from the Alto Adige region in Northern Italy. Tasting this semi blind I had this pegged as new world and most definitely not from Italy! It was a pleasant surprise and one of the number one reasons I love tasting wines blind as you have to rely on your palate, eyes and nose solely. Put that pretentious book knowledge aside!

Here are my tasting notes:

Appearance: golden yellow in colour
Nose: Honey, orange blossom, yellow apple
Palate: Honey, perfume, floral, heavy alcohol (pretty hot actually) and fairly intense acid.

A memorable quote I blurted out after initially tasting this: "They fermented the crap out of that one!" And at 13.5%, I understand why that came to mind!

$25.

Cheers,
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts