VEGAN....ISH

Since I've started following Laura Miller and Erin Ireland on Snapchat, I've made quite a transition towards a mostly plant based diet. If you haven't heard of either of these fabulously talented and amazing women - go follow them. Now. I was always hesitant/skeptical of a vegan diet simply because it seemed like so much WORK. Not only that, it seemed so limiting, especially when dining out. These women have both shown me that a plant based diet is not only way more nutritious and healthy for you, but a hell of a lot more delicious and tasty than your typical meat & potatoes style diet.

While I likely won't ever go full vegan - I do still want to enjoy meat from time to time (from ethically raised or animals my husband has hunted, but more on that another time) - I want to incorporate a mostly plant based diet in my day to day regimen. All the findings and facts are there - not only for your most basic bodily functions but also your energy levels, your skin, anti aging properties...the list goes on.

So - with all of that said, I've been researching how to incorporate more plant based "things" into my day to day diet without sacrificing flavour and without having to live off alfafa sprouts. I've actually surprised myself with the amazingly delicious and FILLING meals I've come up with.

Here is what I made last night....

Yam Stacks

Here is what you will need:

1-2 yams (depending on how many mouths you're feeding. I used 1 yam for 2 people)
Coconut oil
Bunch of kale
1 onion
Chilli flakes
Onion salt
Olive oil
Tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
2 bulbs garlic
Honey (I know honey isn't vegan, you can substitute for maple syrup)
Water


For the yams:

Slice them into 1/4 inch thick rounds for frying. In a frying pan, heat up your coconut oil. Fry the yam "burgers" a few minutes each side, and then put on a cookie tray and place in a hot oven to finish cooking, at 400F.

Garlic:

Slice off the top of an entire bulb, drizzle with olive oil, place in a baking tray cut side down, and put in the 400F oven for around 20 minutes.

Kale:

Mince your kale and onion (you're going to be layering it in the stacks, so it needs to be easily piled onto the yams), and fry in another pan in olive oil with the onion salt and chilli flakes until everything has wilted and the onions become translucent. Set aside.

Tahini Sauce:

Add all of the following to your blender: 1 cup of olive oil, juice of one lemon, 1/2 cup of tahini, 2-3 garlic cloves, 1 cup of water and 1-2 tbsp of either honey or maple syrup. Salt & pepper as needed, blend until smooth. (this is an amazing sauce to drizzle over so many things, or as a yummy dip)

Remove everything from the oven, and let cool slightly so you can assemble your stacks.

Take one of your yam slices and add some of your kale mixture on top, then add another slice of yam. On top of this yam slice, slather some of that rich roasted garlic on (it'll squeeze out like a paste and is easy to spread), then follow with another layer of yam. Add more of the kale mixture and then finish with one more yam slice. Drizzle the whole stack with the super rich and tasty tahini sauce. Serve!




Comments

Popular Posts