Guilty pleasure wines....what's yours?

You know those wines...the ones you aren't particularly proud to admit you love. Is it a heavily oaked Chardonnay? New world Mendoza Malbec? Moscato D'Asti?

I think I recently found mine - it was at a blind tasting I attended and was a throwback to the days of yore when my go to styles were big, in your face, fruit bombs. Apparently, I subconsciously still enjoy this style. 

Upon first sniff I thought it was a Dolcetto - it had the caramel, sour cherry, sweet, high acid, candied fruit thing going that always turns my mind to this style that hails from Northern Italy (Piedmont). Upon further investigation though, and as the wine opened up - it morphed into bark mulch, cedar, and myrrh. Yes - myrrh! The nose was unbelievably intoxicating and I couldn't get enough of it. Have you ever had a wine where after smelling and tasting it you experience a physical reaction, maybe you get goose bumps, you hear a ringing in your ears, the lights dim, and you enter a world all your own. That was this wine for me. Nobody talk to me - I'm having a spiritual experience.

I couldn't have been farther off - it was a bottle of 2008 Burgess Howell Mountain (Napa Valley) Syrah. WOAH.



So, maybe not exactly a "guilty pleasure" wine per se, but definitely a style I thought I had long grown out of. I guess you should never forget where you came from!

What are yours?

Comments

Popular Posts