A Christmas themed menu

Recently, my good friend Michelle asked if I would like to do the wine pairings for her parent's restaurant's monthly wine club at Cravings. I happily and excitedly said YES!

Their monthly wine club consists of about 50 - 60 people, and each month a different theme is chosen. In past months they have done anything from Brazilian BBQ to German themed menus. The menu I was to look after was a Christmas theme, just in time for the holiday season. Michelle sent me the menu and I set to work.

Here is the menu along with pairings:

Gravlax
In house smoked salmon on a bed of micro greens




I chose the Villa Teresa Rosé Frizzante for this course, made from 100% Raboso grapes. The acidity and light fruit against the smooth texture of the salmon, along with the bitterness of the greens complemented and contrasted perfectly.

Warm Goat Cheese Crostini
served with tomato concasse and balsamic reduction



I chose the 2008 Road 13 Pinot Noir for this course as goat cheese tends to be pungent and earthy, and the acid of the tomato needed some structure to stand up to it. This Pinot had plenty of earthiness and enough acid to stand up to the dish and married brilliantly.
Sweet Potato and Bartlett Pear Soup



For this course I chose the Road 13 Honest John's White 2009, which is an aromatic blend of Riesling, Kerner, Gewürztraminer, Schoenberger, Muller Thurgau and Pinot Gris. The Riesling in this vintage was affected by botrytis, or noble rot, which is a fungus that affects grapes and effectively eats away all moisture, leaving the grapes shrivelled, with a high concentration of sugar and flavour. The intense peach, pear, and apricot flavours balanced perfectly with the sweetness of the soup.

Prime Rib of Alberta Beef
served on a morel demi glace, baby vegetables and gruyere potatoes





I chose the 2007 Château Saint-Roch Côtes du Roussillon Villages Chimères which is a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Carignan. This paired beautifully with the dish as it offered gorgeous dark berry fruit, well integrated tannins and a velvety mouth feel.


Duet of Holiday Magic
chocolate spiced mousse with fresh fruit coulis and gingerbread parfait with marinated fresh fruit


For the final course, I decided to go with the East India Solera Sherry as it has a lovely sweetness to it along with some nut and caramel notes that paired very well with dessert.

A big shout out to my wonderful friend Michelle for giving me such an incredible opportunity.

Happy Holidays,
Lola

Comments

Anya said…
I love Road 13 but I'm really excited to try Villa Teresa Rosé Frizzante. Will pick it up after your recommendation for sure.
SILK + COUPE said…
I hope you enjoy it Anya, it's sooo yummy!!

Popular Posts