First wine club meeting

I recently started a wine club with some classmates from the wine program I was taking this past summer, the Wine and Spirit Education Trust. I plan to continue on and do the diploma, but since it doesn't start until 2011, I thought the wine club would be a great chance to talk and drink wine with people who have a great appreciation for it like I do.

We held our first meeting this past Monday night. Our varietal of choice was Pinot Noir from around the world. We all arrived very excited as we had chosen a format similar to class, in that we would be doing the tasting blind, and discussing the wines as we tasted through them.

The following three wines were tasted blind, and accompanied are my notes as I was tasting through them and assessing where I thought they were from.

1. Road 13 Pinot Noir, Oliver, BC, 2008 $25



Nose: earth, mushroom, forest floor, sour cherry, fresh strawberries, subtle floral notes and smoke
Palate: Candied cherry, raspberries, strawberries, vanilla bean. I noted the acidity fell a little short, however I found the finish to be of a decent length.

I guessed this was from New Zealand based on the vibrant fruit. What is funny is that I have had this wine many times, and didn't think I was drinking the Road 13. This is what I love about blind tasting - it removes all preconceived notions and you taste the wine without judgement.

2. Torlesse Pinot Noir, 2007, Waipara, Canterbury, South Island $25




Nose: Manure, game, stone, smoke, strawberry, strawberry syrup
Palate: A beautiful rich, velvety mouth feel with incredibly ripe red fruit, very well balanced.

I guessed that this one was from BC, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The great thing is that I discovered a new wine I like, and at a very reasonable price.

3. Chateau de Chamirey, Beaune, 1er Cru, 2001, Clos du Roi $40



Nose: Tobacco, figs, fruit leather, mint, barnyard, spearmint
Palate: Dried cherry, licorice, vanilla, rose petal

This last one was fantastic and I was sure it was Burgundy, and I was correct. Incredibly elegant and still showing lovely structure at almost 10 years old, this was a beauty and a very pleasant surprise to have in the lineup!

We have decided to meet monthly and continue with these blind tastings as they are great practice to keep your palate sharp, and an opportunity to explore wine regions you are unfamiliar with.

Next month: Calabria and Sicilia. I will report back with my findings!

Cheers
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts