Inspiration strikes...

Inspiration strikes at the oddest moments! I had been enjoying a lovely Sunday of leisure: coffee with a girlfriend, running errands and helping Derek complete putting up the last of the drywall in the basement. (this is a huge accomplishment in our house as Derek has single-handedly replaced all the electrical and plumbing along with re framing and drywalling the entire basement. Perhaps he should start his own handy man blog?)

Derek asked for a late lunch as we had eaten breakfast around 10am. We were nearing mid afternoon so I happily obliged. Knowing I didn't have any bread in the house (sandwiches are always my go to for quick and easy lunches), I realized I had to be a little more creative.

Here's what I threw together: Vindaloo curried salmon cakes with a coconut all spice reduction



I took one can of salmon and combined it with the following to form the cakes:
(apologies for lack of measurements - I made this up as I was going along)

-dijon mustard
-Worcestershire sauce
-a mild hot sauce I brought back from Mexico, with a creamy like texture
-1 egg
-flax seed powder (I keep flax seeds frozen in my freezer as they tend to go bad very easily. I grind them in my coffee grinder and use the powder as a much healthier alternative to flour for thickening soups, stews and gravies. In this case, it was used as as a substitute to bread crumbs)
-Vindaloo curry paste
-scallions

I formed these into palm sized patties and fried them in oil on medium high for a few minutes a side.

While I had those babies sizzling away on the stove, I combined the following in a sauce pan:

-coconut milk
-Vindaloo curry paste
-brown sugar
-all spice

I whisked this together, threw it on the stove at medium high and let it reduce by half which took about 10 or so minutes.

I placed the cakes in a beautiful stack on a bed of fresh spinach, then drizzled everything with the coconut all spice reduction and finally topped it off with some more scallions.

A perfect late afternoon lunch after a few arduous hours of drywalling!

Eat up,
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts