Is there more wine?

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I tend to enjoy a glass of wine every evening either with dinner, while I am cooking, reading a book or while watching a movie before heading to bed. It is a ritual I sincerely enjoy and look forward to. It is also something my husband and I enjoy together, comment on the flavour profile together, or simply just sit down after a long day and chat over.

This past Monday I was in the mood for something cheap and cheerful and found this in my wine fridge, which I believe was a gift from my husband's company secret Santa:

McWilliams Hanwood Estate, Shiraz, South Eastern Australia, Shiraz , 2008



I have seen this bottle around town quite a bit, but never picked it up as Australia generally isn't my first choice when selecting wine at the liquor store. I have had many lovely wines from Australia but my personal taste tends to veer towards other styles.

I don't want to say my first sip was disappointing, but it definitely wasn't spectacular. Initially fruit bomb came to mind...but then the finish was so extremely short and out of balance that I can't even say there was much fruit to leave this wine some legs to stand on.

I only had a half a glass and decided to call it a night.

The following evening I decided to try it again. It was a touch smoother...but again, the finish was still very lacking. I did notice with the over night exposure to oxygen a subtle note of bacon fat/meat/gaminess that Shiraz can sometimes express.

This can be purchased for around $15 on the shelf.

Best
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts