Ginger ale braised Alberta beef roast

Making roasts has to be one of my favourite ways to cook a delicious meal, mostly because it is so easy. Basically you choose your flavours, throw them into a crock pot or low heat oven and let it stew away for the whole day. The end results are always unreal - the most tender, flavourful, mouth watering meat your palate has ever encountered.

I had a naturally raised, grass fed Alberta beef roast that I took out of my freezer last night and let thaw over night. This morning I cut it up into bite sized pieces, and put it into my crock pot, on low, along with the following ingredients:

2 cups new potatoes (whole)
2 cups ginger ale (typically I'll use red wine or a dark beer - but all I found was gingerale - hey, why not?)
2 cups water
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp tarragon
Salt and pepper to your liking

All of this was thrown into the crock pot, given a quick stir and then left to do a little dance for about 8 hours. I turned on the crock pot at 8am and will check on it at 5pm.

Once I'm ready to serve it, I'll remove the beef and potatoes, and thicken it with a little flax powder (my healthy alternative to flour. If you prefer flour go ahead and use it).

I'll admit it - I have snuck a little taste and the ginger ale adds such an interesting profile to the whole stew. I can't wait to have a steaming hot bowl of this with my husband when he gets home tonight.

Happy hump day,
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts