BC brain washed ... is it a real thing?

Recently I tried a very curious wine:

 - 2011 Mount Boucherie Zinfandel - 



A wine that would stump any expert oenophile if tasted blind, guaranteed. It was unlike any wine I have tried from the Okanagan as of late, and was quite unique - it had a lingering finish with tons of cigar box and tobacco leaf which was reminiscent to me of the finish I often experience when I drink Rioja.  It was medium in body which was unusual for Zinfandel as the examples I'm accustomed to from the Lodi or Dry Creek Valley tend to be super boozy, low tannin and just overall unbalanced. There was a touch of brett on the palate which I normally don't like but it was so subtle, it actually worked in this case. Overall, it was a pleasant surprise. After sharing my comments with a sommelier friend, I was told I was 'BC brain washed' for comparing a BC wine to Rioja. Perhaps it was meant in jest or perhaps it was meant seriously - either way it got me thinking, so I asked around to some of my very knowledgeable and educated winemaker and wine consultant friends here in the valley - here are some of their comments on the topic - very interesting indeed:

"We make great wine, also some bad wine, and it shows in international sales and awards. Taste is personal, and one of the great things about BC is the ability to grow what we want and have the ability to do it in many terroirs. The north to the south provides an ability to grow most things in most styles. We are pretty lucky."

"BC's international selection is such shit and there is such an abundance of BC wine to drink - unless you're seeking out other wines and tasting and drinking them regularly - "valley palate" can definitely be a thing."

"I think people here do have a particular sense of entitlement with wine and their opinions because all we are exposed to day in and day out is Okanagan wine. So, people think Okanagan wines are the shit. There are great wines here but from a perspective outside of the Okanagan, people are probably sick of the hype, and then here you are making a comparison to Rioja."

"We have such an electricity to our wines, they're youthful and exciting. Traditionally you ate the foods you grew in your soils and you drank wines you grew in your soils - that's why they pair so well."

What's your take?

Thank you to - Michael Alexander, Jasmine Lee Black, Kayla Sahara and Rhys Evans for weighing in on this topic with me!




Comments

Alan Milnes said…
Loli, who are the 'experts' you consulted? Sommeliers? Winemakers? Wine writers?
SILK + COUPE said…
Three are winemakers, one is a wine consultant at the VQA store!
Huyen said…
I decided to take my training for the next few weeks into my own hands as the current training and nutrition style was a little too much. I have 15 weeks to go, so not feeling the need to be so drained so far out.
jogos friv gratis 2019
friv4school 2020
a10 online games

Popular Posts