Don't hold the glass like that sweetie....

Many moons ago when I began my journey in the wine world, I took a job as a naive, bright eyed and inexperienced hostess at a high end oyster bar in Calgary. Think white linen, rooms devoted to both red and white wine, and a loyal following of affluent patrons. I was definitely in over my head, but eager and keen to learn, and fascinated by the food, wine and people at every turn.

There was a particularly flamboyant sommelier on staff who was excellent at his job and made lasting impressions on almost everyone he met.

I was absolutely enamoured by him; his wine descriptors were outlandish and farcical, he marched to his own beat and was unapologetically himself. His affectation for wine was palpable, and looking back now, he's definitely owed credit for igniting my passion of wine as well.

One particular night after shift, we sat down for a glass of wine like always. I looked forward to these times as our interactions were not only comical yet educational, but also provocative and sometimes shocking.

We sat down in a booth to enjoy a glass of red wine, what type of wine I cannot remember, but I grabbed my glass of wine to take a sip, and I have NEVER forgotten the look on his face and the words that came out of his mouth -

"Sweetie, don't hold the glass by the goblet, you look like a hooker".

The general reasoning behind this "rule" is that your body temperature will heat up the wine, impacting the overall sensory experience. Additionally, a greasy, finger print ridden wine glass looks not only unsightly but just plain gross!

So, next time you're enjoying a glass of wine, I implore you to remember this tale, and hold the glass by the stem like a proper classy oenophile would!






Comments

Popular Posts