The best wine and food pairings I've ever had

I live for finding wines that will pair PERFECTLY with food - you know the ones - it's like an explosion of flavour in your mouth, the wine tastes better, the food tastes better, the sounds, sights, and people you're with all imprint on your brain and it quickly becomes an experience you will never forget.

That is always my goal when trying wines - what food will this pair best with? How can I create an unforgettable experience? Don't get me wrong, I love sipping a nice chewy red at the end of a long work day, paired with a hot tub and a set of six pack abs by my side...haha. Let's be serious though - I'm not joking.

There have been quite a few of these experiences in my life - the food and wine pairings - not the abs! Ok, well maybe both. But for the sake of this post, some of my most memorable food and wine pairings have often been spontaneous, unexpected and sometimes totally by accident, and here are a few that stick out:


  • Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley with crunchy baby potatoes dipped in chimichurri sauce
  • Roussanne/Marsanne/Viognier from the Barossa paired with a Mexican salad with chipotle dressing
  • Okanagan Sauvignon Blanc poured over (in place of mignonette) raw oysters from Effingham 
  • Pedro Ximenez Sherry paired with caramel salted chocolate
  • Barbera D'Alba from Piemonte with tomato dill soup 
  • Muscat of Alexandria paired with canteloupe wrapped Jamón Ibérico
  • Fino sherry with anchovy stuffed olives and potato chips 
  • Off dry BC Gewurztraminer paired with coconut soup with sambal oelek, cilantro, lime, garlic and ginger
What are some of your most memorable pairings? 




Comments

Popular Posts