I want to ride my bicycle!

A bicycle built for two. A French dude on roller blades. 15 buffoons riding their bicycles on a chilly October evening.

I present to you, The Cobras.



The party was a thriving success! We had a tandem, we had roller blades, we had an electric bicycle that travelled faster than the speed of light. We realized we were making history - we'd created our very own bicycle gang, The Cobras!

We started the party off at Ryan's for some light appies and a few rounds of Rock band. My wine of choice:

Famiglia Bianchi Malbec 2007, Mendoza, Argentina



If you're looking for something that is going to blow your head off for the bargain price of $16-18 on the shelf, you need to try this wine. I know, I know, why this particular wine when the market has been inundated with Malbec's? Simply put, it delivers for an exceptionally low price. When I pour this wine for clients, I am often told it is too cheap! It is pure Malbec goodness with plenty of blackberry, black cherry and a hint of dried fruit. Drink it now or hold onto it for a few years to see how it will develop - the structure is there is for a few years of aging. This is a perfect wine to share with friends.

It was time for the first leg of our trip. Thankfully our house was only about a 10 minute bike ride from Ryan's so it wasn't too daunting a task. The tandem bicycle team were a little anxious - neither had ever ridden a tandem, it was dark, and they hadn't a clue which direction they were going. In an effort to ease their nerves, Derek (my husband) and I told them the story of our attempt on a tandem in Amsterdam. Derek had had his appendix removed in Brussels two days prior to arriving in Amsterdam. The idea was that we'd rent a tandem, while he could "hang out" on the back of the bike while I rode up front and did all the work. Wow, were we ever mistaken! 3 blocks, yelling in public and a few near accidents and we had turned around and returned the bike. Luckily these girls figured it out and were flying down the street in no time!


We were a little chilled once we'd arrived at my house so wine was in order. Being the nerd that I am, I decided to try a wine I'd seen around the market to tie in with our "bicycle" theme.

Red Bicyclette Syrah 2008 Languedoc-Rousillon, France


I was wary purchasing this wine as I had read a few articles about this particular producer selling what they were labelling as their "Pinot Noir" but which actually turned out to be Merlot and a blend of a few other varietals! The sad part is that most consumers in this price range (about 12 bucks on the shelf which is nearly impossible to sell a Pinot for) just don't have the palate or the knowledge to detect that they weren't actually drinking Pinot Noir. Unfortunately, that is why it took a few years for this scam to be uncovered. Nonetheless, I was adamant to buy it purely for the bicycle theme, and so I went for the Syrah instead. This bottle was around $12 on the shelf. It was passed around quickly to all my guests and in all honesty I think I tried one sip. It was what I expected, pretty basic, some sweet spice, pepper, sour cherry. I don't think I'll buy it again but it tied in nicely with my theme!

I didn't stop with my theme at the wine - it carried onto my cheese platter also.



Yes, those are cheese wheels (Brie and Camembert respectively) made into a food bicycle. Yup. I did it.  The platter was a screaming success and everyone loved my creation. I couldn't just stop there, I also had to tie in the whimsy of fall and Halloween so I scattered candy corn, leaves and small gourds around my tray. Cashews, oranges and crackers completed the platter. Hint: if you have any spare tile lying around, use it for your platter! The one seen here is a left over slate tile from our recent bathroom renovation. I simply washed it thoroughly and laid out the food. I think it makes for a much for presentable and elegant look.

Before we left for our final destination, Sean's house, we had one last wine to try. I had one in mind that I think went over very well:

Dr. L Riesling 2009, Mosel, Germany



I love Riesling. I absolutely adore its versatility - with it's high acidity, it pairs incredibly well with a wide range of foods, they age brilliantly, some upwards of 20 years, and, well, it's just yummy! I hadn't tried this particular Riesling but had heard it was decent for the price, $15. This particular gem had plenty of tropical fruit on the nose, and that "candy" sweetness I love about Riesling, with the acidity on the finish to refresh your palate and keep the wine from being too cloying. One thing I learned in my wine studies is to coin or come up with your own personal indicators that will essentially help with recognizing different varietals. For me, with Riesling in particular, it is rocket candy. They are sweet, yet tart, and for whatever reason, whenever I drink a Riesling that is always the first thing that comes to mind!

After the platter had been consumed and the wines finished, we hopped back onto our bikes for the last leg of our trip to Sean's place for more nosh and beverages. Luckily it was a short ride and we all made it safely.




The remainder of the evening was an absolute blast. Sean had an awesome spread of food, the beats going for a little living room dancing action, and the best part of all: a hot tub. I think we had 10 people crammed into a 6 man hot tub. Perfect.

Overall, I think it was a magnificent success and all our guests gushed at what a fabulous and unique idea it was. We were like a bunch of kids outside riding our bikes, hooting and hollering and doing sweet jumps. I think we sometimes forget how fun the simple things in life can be. The wines I chose went well with the feel of the party - carefee, laid back and no messin' around. Great value, easy drinking and perfect for sharing with friends.

So next time you're heading out on a Friday evening - look out for our bicycle gang - you just never know where we might be roaming ;).

Cobras out!

Lola


Comments

Popular Posts