A mild obsession with Rosé

One of my go to styles of wine is rosé. Or, as my Mother likes to call it..."blush". (giggle...and more giggling)

There are a few different ways to produce rosé. (only two of which I will mention here) One is via skin contact, where the juice of the grapes are left to sit on the skins for no longer than a few days, imparting the rosy colour of the wine. The other well known method is saignée, where a portion of juice from a fermenting vat of red wine is removed, to intensify tannin and flavour of the red wine, but leaving some juice to produce rosé.

I recently came upon a tasty little treat which I enjoyed with my husband just last night:

Tantalus Vineyards, Dry Rosé, 2009, Kelowna, BC



I think what excites me the most about this wine is that it is literally 5 minutes away from where I grew up! There are some pretty incredible wineries popping up in the Okanagan area producing high quality wines, Tantalus being one of them.

Their rosé is delightful, made from a blend of 33% Pinot Meunier and 66% Pinot Noir.  The aroma on the nose reminds me of a strawberry tart while on the palate it is incredibly refreshing with plenty of raspberry and vibrant citrus.

Have this on its own or pair it with a platter of charcuterie, cheese, berries and crackers.

Rosé makes a fantastic food wine but I find it shines most brightly with the above mentioned pairings.

If you`re lucky enough to find this in your area, make sure to pick up a bottle!

Prosit!
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts