It's my first time...

So here goes...

I'm starting my very own blog. What do I intend on writing about? Wine and everything to do with it. I'm simply a wine lover who has taken her love affair to the next level - I work in the industry as a wine rep, am currently taking a 2 year wine and spirits diploma and basically partake in anything and everything that has to do with wine. (tastings, hosting parties, reading other wino's blogs, books, magazines...you name it)

It began many years ago when I decided I needed some extra coin to support myself while working on my degree. (A BA in International Relations - thanks U of C). I took a hostessing job at a fine dining restaurant in the downtown core. I knew nothing about wine and was intimidated by the abundance of experienced servers and sommeliers. It was easier to keep my mouth shut than to try and hold my own around these people who had taken courses and been talking and selling wine for years.

Now, I have to give my parents credit. They had always made wine readily available and encouraged me to try it in an effort to discourage an inevitable rebellion and binge drinking.

I remember the bottle that ultimately changed the direction of my career path in one sip. It was the La Crema Pinot Noir, Sonoma, California. (unfortunately I cannot recall the vintage as I'm pretty sure at that point I wasn't aware of the term) It tasted like roses! I had never experienced a wine with such flavour...I thought I was in heaven. From that point on, I was determined to learn as much about wine as I could.



From there it was a whirlwind of working part time in wine boutiques, courses and endless amounts of networking (oh, and a 2 year stint in oil and gas which pushed me further into following my true passion).

I finally landed a job as a wine rep and here I am today. I have to say some days it is a little surreal to call what I do a "job". Talking and drinking wine in a board meeting with your boss just doesn't seem right on so many levels. But that's our industry and the one I have come to love!

Now...before I have bored you with my life history...one last note.

This weekend I will be hosting a "bicycle" party. A bicycle party you ask...whatever is that? Well, let me tell you! My boss shared with me a little while back that her friends were hosting a bicycle party. Of course I was curious and wanted to know more. Apparently there are several hosts involved, each of whom host a course in the evening's meal. The hitch is that the guests eat only one course at each house. Their mode of transport? A bicycle!



I have taken it upon myself to replicate this fantastic idea for a party. I have recruited several hosts, and we have all invited our friends.  Friday evening we take to the streets. My portion of the evening will be - you guessed it - a wine tasting. Any opportunity I get to impart knowledge on my friends in regards to wine - I jump at it!

I will report back on the outcome!

Lola

Comments

As a fellow lover of all things related to wine, your blog has officially become my new best friend... Can't wait to read more!
SILK + COUPE said…
Thanks! I can't wait to write more!
Anya said…
La Crema Pinot Noir is one of my favourite wines. I always stock up when I'm in the States.

Popular Posts