An a-braise-ing meal

I made my usual rounds about town last week and visited the butcher, the grocery store and the bakery. Upon visiting my butcher, I decided to pick up a pot roast as they were on special and they're a nice hearty meal to enjoy in the winter. They are also great for lasting the week to use for lunch and dinner leftovers. I picked up an all natural Galloway beef pot roast and set to work!

I had a bottle of this lying around:

Road 13, Fifth Element, 2006

Yes, I am a fan of Road 13! This is a Bordeaux style blend with 38% Merlot, 28 % Cabernet Franc, 22% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Malbec and 6% Petit Verdot. Incredibly well balanced, there is plenty of black fruit, chocolate, smoke and tobacco, which was perfect for my pot roast.

I poured this over my Galloway roast along with a few cups of water, rosemary, garlic and onion. I roasted it in the oven at a low temperature of 275 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 hours.

The result: an incredibly tender, juicy and delicious beauty ready to be consumed. With the leftover juices from the roast along with the wine it had been braising in, I whipped up a beautiful gravy. I served this with carrots and brown rice. Gorgeous.

If you are in the Calgary area, check out this fantastic butcher: Second to None Meats http://www.stnm.ca/about.php

Bon Appetit!
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts