What goes well with bubbles? Oysters, to start.

What better way to spend a beautiful, balmy November evening than enjoying a perfect marriage of oysters and bubbles?

I met up with my lovely girlfriend Nadja (the local and seasonal foodie genius I mentioned in a previous post) at Big Fish restaurant here in Calgary. It has great appeal as they have a fantastic offering of seafood that is affordable and delicious, and if you've suddenly had a change of heart, their other restaurant, Open Range (steak house) is right next door. (actually, right through a door next to the bathrooms.)

We feasted on a dozen oysters, half east coast - Village bay, and half west coast - Fanny Bay.



These beauties came with a lovely assortment of accompaniments: tarragon chili aioli, caper chive mignonette (my favourite) and a fresh 4 chili cocktail.

I of course had to have the perfect pairing so I went with their sparkling by the glass:

Pares Balta Cava, Penedes, Spain, N/V


This Cava was great on its own, with plenty of toasty notes, some nice fleshy, yellow apple on the palate and a crisp finish. It paired perfectly with the oysters, both with and without the sauces.

I hear Big Fish does two for one oysters on Mondays...I'll definitely be going back...and you should too!

Tata
Lola

Comments

Popular Posts